Tuesday, February 15, 2011

What's in a name....

My thinking is, if you're gonna have a blog then have a distinctive name! I've read many with cool, fun and I'm sure meaningful names.  Which is what I wanted for my own.  Gwen is a nickname I've been given by a very close, unique friend.  It all started when I was saying that Guinevere and Jennifer mean the same. "Jennifer:  either a Cornish form of Guinevere meaning fair smooth or possibly the Celtic white wave." (From meaning-of-names.com) And then over the years with help from my friend's daughter it went from Guinevere to Gwen.  Isn't a nickname after Lady Guinevere special? Especially since it's the same as Jennifer! So I knew I wanted to use "Gwen".
But what else could go with Gwen?
I thought about this and that, that and this. And then had the thought that I'm somewhat partial to vintage things. I have started a collection of vintage pink ornaments, some of my Christmas decor is vintage. I have some inherited goods from grandmothers....you get the idea.  But doesn't vintage mean old? I looked it up! And found these meanings: characterized by excellence, maturity, and enduring appeal; classic; of the best; of the most distinctive, of lasting interest and importance.
Yes!  I strive to be all that!  The best of me. Classic me. Distinctive me. Vintage Gwen!
So there you have it...what Vintage Gwen means to me and hopefully what you'll have the pleasure of reading about.

5 comments:

weaving in the ends.... said...

That's so cute! I love it!

Jennifer said...

Thanks!

Jennifer @Miss Maggie's Place said...

Oh I love this. My name is Jennifer too. My mom was going to name me Rachel but my aunt told her she couldn't name me that because Rachel was bad on the soap opera they watched & Jennifer was her second choice. (Jennifer also played a good part on the soaps.) That is soo silly to me but I like being a Jennifer.

Jenn said...

Hiya! I'm new to your blog. My name is Jennifer too (tho I go by Jenn). Its nice to know what my name means. Haha. Thats really interesting, and you learn something new every day. Thank you :)

<3 Jenn
jenn-mcclure.blogspot.com

Michelle said...

I've been wondering how you got your name. Now I know!! I enjoyed reading your post. :)